Sunday, June 29, 2014

Yo all!



GOOGLE I/O shown me an amazing device that I wanted immediately.


The Cardboard



Which looks like this:


or this, once assembled:
https://developers.google.com/cardboard/





  And which is a very cheap VR kit in which the active part - the most important and most expensive - is the phone I already own. If I am satisfied with the resolution of my phone, that I have to be satisfied with the resolution of my VR kit.

  I did not attend the GOOGLE I/O, where I would be getting one of these for free, but Google is kind enough to provide blueprints for free.
Even more, it provides web links to all the materials that you need for this.

  I was watching Oculus Rift from the very beginning and knowing how unsatisfying a optical/electronic device like this would be in its firsts editions I waited for really satisfied users before even considering buying one.
  Naturally, the Google VR looked in an instant more attractive because:

   - made out of cardboard it would be really cheap
   - out of cardboard I would try to make it myself
   - the active part in this device is my own phone, so my VR will not deprecate faster than my phone and the eventual upgrade will not cost anything but will upgrade the VR too
   - other components would have to be really accessible - and they were.
   - I tend to fav phone to laptop more and more, so I would like my VR kit working with my phone. But there is a link necessary in between the VR and phone, whereas here, the VR is the phone - a lot of headache is already gone!

So if I draw a line here, I can say that I have already 5 (really big) reasons to skip waiting for Oculus and go for the Google VR.

There might be one, when I'll be no more interested in the VR, there will be no device left on some shelf or eBay auction.

I start searching the web for the cardboard, especially for a Google owned page, and found the Cardboard page itself. Which even has an favicon of its own. Great: Google is providing all the info to do it yourself.

So there is the list of materials, which includes parts for another VR kit ;), for which shipping will take a pretty big amount of time to get so I scraped the list altogether and started searching shops locally.

Materials.


No comments:

Post a Comment