Sunday, June 29, 2014

The CardBoard itself





  The Google VR kit I have done is made of corrugated cardboard of a B flute size instead of E flute size in the original.
  Meaning the design changed a bit for the thickness of the cardboard and a lot for the size of my phone, Note 3, which I wanted inside my VR glasses, no side openings.

  Here are the original blueprints, and here (will publish later) are my blueprints, modified to acomodate a Note 3.

  I printed all on paper, glued paper on cardboard with liquid glue - not very good move, as the liquid glue made all paper crease and on top of that I has to wait the glue to dry, as the wet paper teared badly and ruining the contour I was following with a brand new paper cutter. I used a absolutely new blade and by the end was kinda dull for this kind of cardboard.

  Using a B flute cardboard, from page one I have deleted 2 of the folds (left and right) and kept only the center one.
  Even though I made the cuts as precise as I could using my bare hand, the lenses fitted perfectly in their holes but did not stay, so a quick fix was to use some labels to fix them.

First blueprint 'assembled':


And then the CardBoard, front, camera not usable yet:
CardBoard, back, lenses do fit but not very tight:




The CardBoard itself is very light, the phone gives the weight.
Some elastic band will be enough to keep it on the head, still some padding to the forehead and cheeks might be necessary.

Look, there is an elephant on my VR kit!



wip

No comments:

Post a Comment